Questions – From Amanda D’Arcy

Halloween- Is it celebrated in Austria? How is it the same or different? Any plans?

FHV is actually holding a pre-Halloween party. I’m very interested to see what this is like!

Update* – I didn’t attend the Halloween party but did talk to a few locals about Halloween celebrations here in Austria and they told me that it’s celebrated but not nearly as much as in the US. I was talking to a friend of mine, Jennifer, in my business plan development class the other day. She mentioned to me that she has heard about the college parties in the states and that to experience one would be really cool. I believe that’s really because it’s just not as big a deal here. I saw a few people dressed up at the club but it wasn’t overwhelming. There was a really good concert / dj that night in Conrad Sohm. So after hanging out / working at the Green Pavilion I went there with the staff. That was a lot of fun!

What's the Swine Flu paranoia like there, if any?

None really…it’s not a paranoia over here. People know of it but no one that I’ve met is freaking out about it. You can really tell when something is on people’s minds when you hear jokes about it. It may be in passing or the joke may center completely on the subject itself. But I’ve only heard one joke about Swine flu or its effects while I’ve  been here. In the states even before I left for Austria I was hearing murmurs, comments, and passing jokes about it far more than I have here.

Health care debate?

Nadda really. People are aware, more or less, about what is going on in the United states. I’ve had a few people jokingly say to me (at the bar) “Yes We Can.” Lol so the recognition that America has a black president and that I’m black

Have you found some favorite spots in the city- restaurants, parks, neighborhoods?

  • Party:
    • Grüner Pavilion - is my favorite spot. (More to come on this
    • Conrad Sohm
    • Mr. Johns.
  • Eat:
    • Oricks Happy Kebap (I will be writing about this) – this is the place to go
    • Innauer – upscale but very nice!
    • I’ve honestly gone out to eat a lot but usually…to keep costs down I eat Kebab or cook at home. But there are plenty of nice places around here. Not to mention the dozens of bakeries that fill the air with one of the greatest smells each and every morning. Fresh breads, meats, a farmers market, cheeses from surrounding regions. It’s a smorgasbord of really great food, especially to cook with.

What have been some of your favorite past times?

Getting to know the locals, seriously. My favorite past time by far would have to be working at the Sawmill with Mattias, his father Jakob, and Norbert. For me that place is a life saver. My brain is usually so filled from information in class and pressure from assignments etc, that it’s really nice to have a place to go and do something I enjoy and help people out. The physical labor aspect is a much needed change from the theoretical learning and exercises done in class.

Beyond this, it is meeting and hanging out with locals!

Did you encounter any opinions about President Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize? What seems to be the general opinion regarding the new administration?

I haven’t encountered any opinions or talk on President Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize. I honestly think people here are just glad there is someone new in office. People are a little hesitant to talk with me about President Obama. The automatic assumption is that I did support him, because it’s like, “Oh, well he’s black so naturally he would support him, etc.” I can see the assumption in peoples eyes. But I don’t take offense at all. I can see people tread lightly when I’m around and politics or Obama comes up. “Oh, I don’t want it to look like I don’t approve of a black guy being the president etc etc. I mean I don’t really care. It has occurred to me that, “Hey, you just might no like the guy, his policies etc". I think people were less concerned about race but more about policies and the persons ultimate goals. But it’s really funny I’ve had people say to me “Yes We Can” in passing and in a nice manner…not meant to be offensive. Mostly just showing that they know of the change (literally, from one president to the next) happening in the U.S.

Comments

Popular Posts