New shoes

Stepping my game up. I needed (seriously needed) new shoes for work. Sadly, I’ve had the same pair (that treated me well) since high school along with one other pair. DSW was were I found all of these except the Asics. I got those at Ross, gotta love Ross. I would like to extend my thanks to Mr. Gilbert for imparting tips and tricks on how to take care of dress shoes and helping me outline future purchases. This was a man I meet in DSW. We stuck up a conversation and I was asking, beyond my original question, what other tips and tricks he might have. Here’s some of what he had to say:

  1. Area’s of Concentration:
    1. While starting out in the business world, concentrate on shoes and accessories. Mainly your shoes and tie. These are the two things that both women and others notice the most.
  2. $300 - $500 Suits Are Just Fine:
    1. What’s the different between a $1000 suit versus a $300 suit. Well to be quite frank …not much to those other than the person wearing the suit. Stick within the 300-450 range and you will be just fine.
  3. $1000 suit dry cleaning:
    1. When you take that $1000 suit to the dry cleaners they don’t treat it any differently than the $300 suit next to it.
  4. Laces or No Laces:
    1. For formal business attire when you’re in a full suit, a good pair of black or brown lace up shoes are the ticket. Why? Well the laces are more formal than loafers and help to keep the consistency of “formal” from head to toe.
  5. Beginning With Shoes:
    1. Don’t worry about getting $300+ shoes for your first pairs. Setting a budget and sticking with it is more important.
    2. DSW and places like it offer good names and quality products for less. BUT IF you are going to spend money on any area of the outfit shoes and ties would be the place to spend it because:
      1. Because you’re on your feet. He noted you can definitely tell the difference in quality in shoes especially if you are spending a significant amount of time on your feet
      2. The shoes and ties really help set you apart
  6. Shoe Trees:
    1. Plastic or cedar shoe trees are great for your first pairs of shoes. They will help the show from bowing he told me. He also said not to worry to much about getting the ultra expensive trees when you’re starting out. I took his advice and got 2 pairs of plastic shoe trees from CVS and they have definitely made a difference

I’m not sure if he really realized how much I valued that conversation but I certain did and am very thankful for it! Thank you!

Pictures are always good:

new shoes_semi-circle

Left to right: Brassboot (dress), Mercanti Fiorentini’s (dress), Sketchers (casual), Asics (running)

More pictures:

new dress shoes sketchers-asics

Comments

Popular Posts