Blog topics from Christian and Amanda

1) What did you do for Thanksgiving?  Anything interesting?  I know it’s past, but it’s good for people here to see what students do celebrate while abroad.

What did I do? I slept and it was glorious. About 35 of the international students got together in the dormitory that is nearest to the school and had a big dinner there. The American students that cooked tried the best they could to recreate a typical thanksgiving dinner. From the pictures it looks pretty damn good.

2) I saw in your blog a post about the Swedish magazine.  Could you elaborate on that, please?

Definitely. My good friend Zebastian Nylund wrote an article explaining and commenting on his semester abroad here in Austria. The article was for a magazine published (I believe) for his school. I got credit because the pictures that you see are ones that I took. I thought it was pretty awesome that my pictures were worthy of any magazine period! Thanks Zebastian!

IMG_2441 IMG_2474

3) How do you think you’ve changed during your time abroad?  How do you see world now?  How do you see American culture?

What a loaded question. The answer is definitely yes. For me there were no mind blowing revelations that I have experienced so far. But then again I am still in the Austrian culture and something really might hit home when I get back to the states. I must say that before coming to Austria I really wasn’t that patriotic. But being here as definitely made me appreciate the States and the live I have there. I see the world as much more complex. For one Europe is not just “Europe.” Each country and even in Austria, each town, is different. Yes your still in Austria but every town has a different dialect for the most part. You can tell who is from Vienna versus those from Vorarlberg. The dialect here is so different that people from Germany have an extremely tough time making out words and understanding. I never knew that 30 min away you could have a completely different dialect. And so different that those traveling there might not know what you’re saying. That’s wild.

I can comment on how I see American culture but I would rather do so when I return to the states. That is, I believe, when I will notice the greatest differences.

4) In your first installment, you addressed the topic of race

Studying abroad will be challenging. I'll be facing all the unknowns. I guess honestly one of my biggest fears is being the "black" guy, to be honest with you. However, I know that Europe tends to not see race as much, but rather where you are from. So I think it will be very interesting to be seen as an "American" and not so much as "African-American."

Would you say the above was true of your experience?  If so, could you elaborate a little bit on it?  I understand if you don’t want to address this topic.  It’s your call.

I thought I was going to stick out like a sore thumb. In the first few days when walking to and from school just about everyone that drove by was staring at me. Even in the cafeteria at school. I quickly got over this but it was uncomfortable at the time. I remember thinking to myself, “Is it because I’m black? Is it because of the way I dress? Or is it as simple as they haven’t seen me before?” The most uncomfortable experience was probably in the cafeteria.

I mean we stare at everyone no matter what they are. So, it took me a minute but I realized that it is because no one here knows me. People are trying to place you, where are you from, why are you here, etc etc. But after a little while and once people got to know me it wasn’t a problem at all. I would say (and some local Austrian students would say) that I have gotten to know a great deal of people here and now have no problem walking around. Now that people know who I am it’s no problem. It just takes a while for people to get used to you and I realized I stare anytime someone is new as well. So often times, we have to remind ourselves that what is on your mind (for why you’re being stared at) might not necessarily be on the other persons mind.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Any time brother. And as we've come to understand during our vocabulary battles, intelligence got no race.

Zebastian

Popular Posts